SUSTAINABILITY

The size of our environmental footprint is very important to us; we source our fabrics from as close to the studio as possible.

We buy all of our fabric in the UK often buying up surplus end of rolls from big name brands, recycling excess materials that would otherwise go to landfill. We deliberately sew to order and make very small quantities of stock to avoid surplus and waste.

Unlike so many other lingerie brands, we design and make 95% of our lingerie in house in our studio in the UK. The other 5% is made by fabulous freelancers also in the UK. Compared to other brands, we carry a tiny amount of stock for environmental reasons and made a lot of pieces to order. When you order, there’s a chance we might have the whole order in stock, in which case we pack it up and post it usually the next working day. Sometimes, we won’t have any of your order in stock or, most often, we have half of an order in stock. In these most common situations, we get right to sewing your order and send out within two working days. So you shouldn’t really see a difference between wait times whether your order is in stock or not.

We realise this is an unusual business model but after nearly 5 years, it’s one that works very well for us. It means that we can listen to demand and only make stock of the most popular styles, that we know are going to sell. Therefore we are not over producing garments unsure of whether they are going to be popular or not, adding to the international fast fashion problems and causing unnecessary pollutants into the environment.

Producing in the UK also saves masses of carbon emissions which we would otherwise be used shipping all of our fabrics and trims to a factory in the far east, to have the garments made up and then shipped back to the UK, where they would then be sent out all over the world.

Because we don’t over manufacture garments that might not sell, this means we don’t have seasonal sales as we have no excess stock to reduce and get rid out. 300,000 tons of clothes are wasted in the UK each year, and we’re proud not to contribute even a single garment to this.

While manufacturing, we are very careful to create as little waste as possible. What waste we do produce, we donate to a local creative scrap recycling centre who pass this on to organisations and schools to be used for craft projects within the local community.

Pip & Pantalaimon proudly support the Who Made My Clothes fashion revolution, a movement encouraging consumers to ask brands ‘who made my clothes?’ in order to achieve greater transparency within the fashion industry, and striving to improve living and working conditions all over the world.

You can hear Pippa talk more about sustainability with The Spitfire Sisters here